Go to home page
Protect your trade marks and designs in the European Union

Protect your intellectual property in the European Union


You will need to give us your details when you fill in the application form.

  • The information given will be used to clearly identify you as the sole proprietor of your trade mark.
  • We may have to contact you if we need additional information either during or after the registration process.

It is very important that you keep us informed of any changes made to your personal details, such as new contact telephone number, etc.

What information should you provide?

If you have previously filed an application with us, all you have to do is enter the unique ID that has been assigned to you. We use this number to retrieve your details so there is no need to retype them again.

You can find your ID number either in previous correspondence or by using the eSearch application.

When you apply for the first time, you will have to provide us with your details. These will then be kept on file for any future correspondence.

You will need to tell us if you are applying as a company or an individual.

Icon used when the owner is a company formed by a person and a building


If you are a company, you need to provide us with the following details:

  • Full name and legal form
  • Country of registration
  • Address
Icon used when the owner is an individual formed by a person


If you are an individual, you need to provide us with the following details:

  • Name and surname
  • Nationality
  • Address

In both cases, it is very important that you also provide us with an email address, telephone number and fax number (if applicable) so that we can contact you easily.

How will EUIPO communicate with you?

The easiest and fastest way to communicate with us is through your online User Area.

Go to User area, the OHIM´s management tool

It provides you with a secure platform from which you can interact with us electronically.

Please note that we accept emails only for informal, not official, communications.

Is it mandatory to appoint somebody to represent you?

As a matter of principle, applicants do not need to be represented. However, if the proprietor does not have their place of business, a real and effective establishment or their domicile in the European Economic Area, they must appoint a representative for all proceedings before the Office except for the filing of the application. The European Economic Area is made up of all European Union Member States plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

A representative can be one of the following:

Legal practitioner (or equivalent, depending on the country)

A legal practitioner qualified in one of the Member States of the European Economic Area and with their place of business also in the EEA. In addition, they have to be entitled to act as a representative in trade mark and/or design matters in that State.

Professional representative

A professional representative whose name appears on the list kept by EUIPO.

Employee of a natural or legal person

An employee of a natural or legal person having their domicile or principal place of business or a real and effective industrial or commercial establishment in the European Economic Area may represent other legal persons provided that the two legal persons have economic connections with each other.

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience, including for anonymized analytics. Find out more on how we use Cookies.